no-cover

FERRARI IS SELLING OFF ITS STAKE AS BAC/MIT DESIGNS CAR THAT REPAIRS ITSELF.

Like
66
0
Thursday, 30 October 2014
Uncategorized

As F1 giant ferrari yesterday called it quits with its parent company Fiat chrysler with fiat making 10% of ferrari available on the stock market while the remaining 90% would be distributed among fiat chrysler shareholders; BAC is designing a concept car that repairs itself utilizing a technique called 4D printing
Led by MIT’s Skylar Tibbit a computational architect, Tibbit said “With planes, we have done
a great job of making articulated wings to have lift, to
change aerodynamics and make the plane functional.
But the weight, energy and control mechanisms involved are pretty excessive at this point. Trying to find more elegant solutions seems an obvious target and what we’re proposing is a single material with the same actuation capability, the same sensing, the same range of movement, if not more.Any place that uses robotics today could use materials and have the same capabilities,” Tibbits further stated that the dream for a new paradigm of component-free,
labor-sparing robotics requires further breakthroughs.
“More materials, more energy sources are current priorities but Wood and carbon fibers are
responding well”.Tibbit reinstated his doubt about heat, light and recycling these same materials for the new mutant automobiles on self assembling themselves.
Tibbits acknowledges that “not every
industry likes surprises,” but the Lab’s client
list indicates a huge appetite for self-
assembly. In addition to BAC, the team are
collaborating with Airbus to develop the
wing design.They are working with engineering giants
Geosyntec to deliver autonomous pipes that
expand, narrow and regulate the flow, taking
on the function of pump and valve. Fashion
and furniture are also targets — making the self-lacing
sneakers of ‘Back to the Future’ a possibility at last.
The field is expanding. Harvard’s Dr. Jennifer Lewis is
leading a wide-ranging exploration of 4D printing, which recently received a grant from the US military, along with two other research institutions. Morphing
camouflage is among the mooted targets.
Demand for 4D is reaching a fever pitch, says Dr. Junus.
Kahn, founder of Carbitex, which produces the materials used by the Self-Assembly Lab, as well as supplying them to major business clients.
“Our clients are looking for the next big idea, they are
actively seeking innovation and believe this could
transform manufacturing,” says Kahn. “If you have
products that know how to mould and assemble based on energy, it takes out the menial labor that has forced manufacturers to relocate abroad where it’s cheaper.”
Kahn believes transport is the fastest-progressing sector for the concept, and expects automotive examples to be on the market as early as 2016.

credits: Skylar Tibbit (Massachusetts institute of technology)

compiled, edited & posted by: @djshyluckjimmy.

Leave a Reply